Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sonam: I didn’t want to be an actor

Currently Sonam Kapoor had an interview with Times of India and she talked clearly about the controversies such as Abhay Deol, Shobha De etc.. She even clarified few things which have surrounded her as star-kid personality.
Straightforward & Direct“I don’t know why people keep on saying that I am known for being outspoken, and my dad has no problems with it. What have I said? I’m not outspoken, I think the world is not used to people who are direct and honest, who can call a spade a spade. But I don’t have anything negative to say about anybody. So my dad is just okay with me being extremely straightforward and direct, instead of being a coward and sucking up to everybody, and doing things which are not needed to be done, because he feels that hard work and talent are the only things that can get you through,” says Sonam
Tough In Every Industry“People think that the struggle for money is the only struggle in life. Just because they haven’t seen me travelling in the local train or walking from one office to another, asking for work, they think life has been easier for me. It’s a part of our scriptures. They say much cannot grow under a banyan tree. And since I’ve been enveloped by my parents, it’s been difficult to identify my own talent, but as they say, once you do find your sunlight, and work hard to achieve what you want, things ease out. But at the same time, I understand the feelings of those who don’t come from a film background. All I can say to them is that it’s tough in this industry, but it’s tough in every industry. There’s nepotism in every industry. If you’re a big industrialist, your son will take over, like the Ambanis or the Gandhis. But at the same time, you also have to prove your worth. Each person has it just as difficult or just as easy from the other. You might not even become what your mom or dad has been.”
Never travelled in Business Class as a kid“My dad’s struggle was different, but many times, he says to me, ‘Why are you working so hard?’ I live with my parents just like all Indian girls do. I started working at the age of 18 and since then, I haven’t taken a penny from my parents. I’ve had my struggles.
I’ve worked as an assistant director, which is no better than being a peon. At 18, I’ve taken the train and have earned `3000 as salary and lived on it, really lived on it. Nobody knows that I pay my own bills. My dad has never bought me a designer thing. My first designer bag was a small Chanel bag from London, which I bought myself. So, my parents have given me everything, but they haven’t given me the luxuries people think they’ve given me. Today, on my flight, I saw a couple of kids, and I thought, ‘When I was that age, I never travelled in business class.’ I was in boarding school, and the flight I used to take was not business class. But the very next minute, I thought that there are people who have never taken a flight in their life. So, each person has his/her own struggles.”
Whose decision was it to live on her own income? “It’s both, because my dad did not launch me. He had nothing to do with me for the first few years of my career. He produced “Aisha”, and that too, after I’d auditioned my ass off for “Delhi 6″ and “Saawariya”. I was discovered on a whim by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, I didn’t want to be an actor… So it’s all kismat.
Parents are fine with my relationships, as long as I am discreet
She says “So, financially, I’m independent, but emotionally, I’m not, and don’t want to be. I think most Indian kids love to be protected. I have four people who are always updating my mom and dad about me. They are answerable to my mom for taking care of me,”
Since she is protected, will it be an issue if she is in a relationship? Sonam says “They are fine with it, as long as I’m discreet.”
Does it mean she is in a relationship? She smiles and said “Umm… I am or I am not, I won’t talk about it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...